Friday, January 27, 2017

Should We Pray For Donald Trump?


2017 is going to be a year remembered by many for a long time for various reasons. For my wife and I, 2017 is our 40th wedding anniversary year. It's hard to believe that 40 years ago this year we were married and a year and three months later we were baptized into Christ together. As I've told many people, the more you come to know me, the greater you'll come to respect my wife! God has been the single greatest factor for our 40 years of marriage, and He deserves all the credit.
Right now as we begin 2017,  our country is going through many changes not least of which is the change in administrations. I watched the inauguration of our 45th president from a ship in the Caribbean Ocean. I don't remember a time when I heard in the political public arena so many references to God generally and Jesus Christ specifically. It was so encouraging to hear from four of the five people who prayed, the name of Jesus Christ. I especially was impressed and encouraged by the reading of scripture from Franklin Graham. As he read from 1 Timothy 2, I wondered how far he would go. Of course this passage is a call and command for every Christian to pray for those in authority over us. 1 Timothy 2:1-2 states, "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people---for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." This was very appropriate for the occasion, but what followed was even more so! 1 Timothy 2:3-6 goes on to say, "This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time."
Not only did Mr. Graham remind believers of our responsibility to pray for our president, he also proclaimed very clearly the good news of Jesus to millions of people. It was a very bold effort to let all who were listening know that Jesus was and is the only way to God the Father.
My friends, are you willing to pray for our new administration? Specifically, are you willing to pray for President Donald Trump? No matter how you feel about him, as a follower of Jesus Christ you and I are called to pray for him. I know what it's like to be challenged to pray for someone I don't necessarily agree with. But I also know that God has the power to enable us to do just that. And if we cannot or will not pray for those who govern us, as commanded in 1 Timothy 2, we are the ones with the problem, a heart problem. Our God has the power to work through anyone and any circumstance to accomplish His purposes. Our responsibility is to trust Him and obey His word, in this case to pray for our president.
So, will you join me in lifting up our nation, in lifting up our president and in lifting up the name of Jesus in 2017? If your answer is "no" then read again 1 Timothy 2:1-2 then tell that to the Lord. If it's "yes" then take a minute right now and do it. Let us all commit to praying as well as proclaiming the good news of Jesus like never before in 2017.
In His Strength,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment