Friday, January 11, 2019

When I was a kid growing up in Central Illinois, I lived in an old country house. We
didn't live on a farm although we were surrounded with the rich, black soil of Illinois' farmland. I grew up with five of my six sisters and was constantly being babysat by
them when my parents were away. I do not have fond memories of being babysat by my sisters. On numerous occasions I had to endure being dressed up like a little girl,
like a real life doll! If I wasn't in some girlie outfit with lipstick on my face I was a prop for when they wanted to dance to late 50's rock n roll. It was pure torture!
As a little boy I sometimes wondered, "What if my parents don't come back? What if
my sisters suddenly are put in charge of me?" The thought of this caused me to throw one of the worst fits I can remember as a little kid. (I actually think it was the only one, but I digress.) I feigned being terrified by having to be left alone with my sisters complete with wailing and tears while pleading with my mom and dad not to leave me. It didn't work. I won't go into to detail about the consequences I had to suffer at the hands of my sisters after my parents left. I really can't remember them anyway because my subconscious has blocked the painful memories. Something about high heels and curlers come to mind, but it's fuzzy.
But, I do remember what my mother did as she tried to console me since she already knew she was NOT going to stay home with me. She gave me one of her scarfs and told me to keep it until she returned for it. She said she promised to come back home and that her scarf was her pledge she'd keep her word. Well, it did seem to help. At least I knew that whatever I had to endure while mom and dad were gone WOULD come to an end when they returned. Mom's promise and the scarf I held gave me hope!
I think that when the Lord gave Adam and Eve the promise of One who would one day crush the head of Satan, it gave them hope that all was not lost. In the midst of the mess they'd made of things in the Garden, God gave them and us a promise that He would send Someone to make things right. That's exactly what He did when He sent His only Son, Jesus Christ to earth. God's people waited a few thousand years for His promise to be fulfilled, but it WAS fulfilled on what we celebrate as Christmas, the birth of Jesus.
God has given every believer in Jesus one more thing to have as a guarantee of His promise of all the good things to come. "He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come."  2 Cor 1:21-22.
My sisters are all believers in Jesus now and one day we'll all be together in Heaven because of what He's done for us. And when we're there in Heaven I won't have to worry about being babysat again. Jesus said, "I will never leave you or forsake you.". That promise begins now!






Hopeful In Christ,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment